Thursday, January 19, 2012

Kids Say the Darnest Things

I am constantly being asked how student teaching is going. Its a big part of becoming a teacher and I admire their curiosity! But let me tell you, student teaching is in full force! I am currently doing all of the small group reading lessons, the whole group math lesson, read alouds, and have my own math station. In math we've been graphing and learning about coins.

We learned this week that a penny has Abraham Lincoln (and that he is the 16th president), the Lincoln Memorial, the date it was made (we call this it's "birthday"),  it's copper-brown AND that there's a little tiny Abraham Lincoln on the back. We pulled out our magnifying glass for that one! We've also learned about a nickel, a dime, and tomorrow is a quarter! This lesson was really special to me because it was the first time I got to create my own lesson and watch the students actually do it! They loved it so much!

Starting our concept map!

The typical day in the life of a kindergarten teacher is...chaotic. I have always wanted to be a kindergarten teacher and this extra wiggly class is very testing! We are growing on each other and they are starting to look at me as a teacher and not a "helper." There are volunteers coming in and out of their room, so I don't blame them for thinking that. Everyday my heart is growing bigger and bigger for these little learners. They really are a special class and I love learning from them.

One reason why I love kindergarten so much is because they are hilarious - plain and simple. One of my little guys (who is extra wiggly) loves to sit in the chair I always sit in at my math station. The other day when he asked me to sit there, I made a deal with him. I told him how the chair was magical and it makes people think so if he was going to sit there he was going to be thinking. With that warning, I handed the chair over to him, and as he sat down he looked at me with wide eyes...
"I can feel myself thinking!"
He then told me to look in his ear to see if I could see his brain. HA! I sort of lied to him and told him I could see his brain from his ear. He was doing so good until he brain was "thinking way too fast."

There's another little boy who I get a kick out of. I assigned partners today and he was not happy with who his partner was (disappointing because we just talked about being good friends!). He was crying in the corner, super upset. I go over to talk to him and he calmly looks at me and asks me to walk away. On top of that he says "This is just not a happy day." It tried not to chuckle - it was only 9:15 am.


No comments:

Post a Comment